Web design and development skills used to be out of reach to the average home user, however now anyone can build a web site. With all the web site design software available now, it makes it extremely easy to create your own web site in a matter of days or even hours.
It’s not Rocket science, however some people still just don’t understand what the internet user wants to see on their web site. Here are some simple tips on the do’s and don’ts when it comes to designing your home page.
Web site Home Page Do’s and Don’ts
- Make all of your pages open in the same window unless the page will lead them away from your website. You want them to be caught in your web. Visitors will also be annoyed if they are browsing your site and every click they make, opens another browser window…Think about it…I know I have been to websites that do this and I just leave. I don’t mind browsing a website but not when you have to open 100 browsers windows to do it?
- Mention what the purpose of your web site is and what value is it to the visitor, otherwise it is like seeing an add on TV dumbfounded and wondering what it was actually advertising. Don’t make this too long as Internet surfers get bored easily. Quickly tell them what your web page offers and point them in the right direction.
- Design your site for to it be compatible with all viewing resolutions. Some call this liquid design. Your site moves and adapts to different resolutions and browsers.
- Make Sure you have links to Contact us and About Us.. If you do not it looks like you are hiding something.
- Make sure user can distinguish between visited and un-visited links.
- Do not disguise the same link under a different name. I went to a site recently that had a block of text links that all ended up at the exact some page. I was not happy as I was looking forward to browsing this particular site.
- Use a motto or tag line that not only contains your sites keywords, but means something. If you can make it catchy or memorable it would be even better.
- If you haven’t thought of a theme or design for your homepage, until you do, keep it simple. A great way to get a nice theme is to build a WordPress website and then upload a theme any time you wish. In fact you can change your mind a hundred times over and it does not matter with WordPress.
- Do not overpopulate your homepage with too many banners and advertising. If you make money with google adsense you should blend it into the content. If a user sees that there are more affiliate banners and ads than there is content, they will not be happy.
- Do not put a link to a page in your web site that is not finished. In WordPress you can save pages or posts as drafts so you do not have to show an unfinished page.
- Check your Home page load time as no one wants to sit there while your flashing graphic loads. Optimize your website and create fast loading graphics.
- Make your web site easy to navigate, especially from your home page. Give the visitors a number of ways to get into your web site. Have you ever thought to yourself “well where do I go now?” I know I have, and if I cannot figure it out quickly, I leave.
- Embed Youtube video HTML code into your website as this means you are not storing the video on your server. This means your website is not slowed down.
Using WordPress for your website is a great way to make sure your design is neat and uniform on every page. This website is using WordPress and the hardest thing is finding the best WordPress theme for your website, the designing is basically done for you.
Hope this article helps you avoid some of the common mistakes people make when designing their web site Homepage. I know I definitely could have used some tips like this when I first started out.