How can I make Microsoft Word the default program?
I’ve never been to South Central Los Angeles, the mean streets of Baltimore or Detroit, or the back alleys of Ames, IA but I experience turf wars everyday when I log onto my home PC. It seems every time I install a new software program, it insists on becoming the default program for opening up files of a certain type. If you’re like me and suddenly have Google Earth opening up Powerpoint presentations or are trying to update your resume through Windows Media Player, take these few steps to change the default program.
The main conflict I had was when I installed OpenOffice so that I could read the proposed changes to our Fantasy Football rules that my friend who didn’t have Word sent over. I literally do 99% of my typing in Microsoft Word and for two years Open Office would automatically start when I clicked a .doc. I couldn’t take it anymore and found out the answer to my problems was actually a pretty easy fix.
Make Microsoft Word The Default Program
1. Go to the start menu in the left-hand corner and when the menu appears, click on Control Panel.
2. Click on classic view in the left menu. This will show you the icons as shown below.
3. Double-click on the default programs icon.
4. There will be four choices, click on the second choice that says associate file type or protocol with a program. See the screen shot below.
5. Now another window will open with a list of file extensions to choose from.
6. Scroll down the list until you find the .Doc extension and the .Docx extension for the newest Microsoft word file types.
7. In the screen shot below I have found that .Doc extension and have made it blue by selecting it.
8. Once you have selected your file type, press on the change program button at the top right.
9. Now you can choose which program you want to open that particular file type. If you cannot see the program you want you can click on the are browse button below stop
10. Browse for your programs .exe file and then press ok.
Here is another way to make Microsoft word the default program when opening a .Doc file:
You can make Microsoft word the default program by manually going and finding the executable file for Microsoft Word. This is the file that starts the program. It will be contained in your C drive, program files, then a Microsoft office folder, then another office folder depending on what version you have.
1. The first thing you need to do to make Microsoft Word the default program is find any .doc file or .docx for 2007+ on your hard drive.
2. Right click once on the file and select open with from the menu that drops down. See the screen shot below.
3. You can choose a program to open that file. If it is not there press on browse to find your program.
2. Browse through your C: Program files directory until you find the program winword.exe.
3. I had to go to C drive, program files, Microsoft office, office 12, then I found winword.exe.
4. Make sure you check the “make this the default program for opening files of this type’ box and your troubles are over…until the next time you install new programs in your hood.
Notes on how to make Microsoft word the default program:
- This is an easy way to stop programs from clashing.
- If you do not solve this problem you will be continually slowed down with your work.
I have shown two ways to make Microsoft word the default program so it should not matter what operating system you have, this should work for you.