When you are working on something top secret on your computer and someone comes to sticky nose, this is a great way to lock your computer fast. If you have Fast User Switching enabled all you have to do is press the Windows key and the L key at the same time.
How to enable Fast User Switching Windows XP
- Go to the Start Menu in the bottom left.
- Choose Control Panel from the menu.
- Double click on the User Accounts icon.
- Then choose Change the way users log on and off from the options..
- A new dialog box will appear.
- Now make sure the box is ticked next to Use Fast User Switching.
- Click Apply options at the bottom of the dialog.
- You should disable Fast user switching on your children’s computer. Then they cannot use this shortcut when you enter the room.
- This also applies to Windows Vista, however it is a default setting.
- If you are logged in remotely to a computer, when you press win key and L it will log out of the actual computer you are on. Then when you sign in again you will still be connected to the remote computer.
- Also see How to create a shutdown, restart, or logoff shortcut on your desktop