This is a neat little trick to create your own icons using the Paint program that comes with Windows. They are not the best quality, professional ones but they are fun. Why not give it a go?
- Click on the start at the bottom left. Then choose All Programs
- Then choose Accessories and then click Paint
- The Paint program will appear with a white page to use. (You can also open your own photo or picture that you have already resized)
- Go to the menu at the top, choose Image
- Then press on Attributes
- Make the height and width of your image 32 pixels and press OK
- Now you can make your icon by adding colour or text etc.
- Now choose File menu from the top menu and choose Save As
- Enter the name of your icon and add the file extension .ico to it. I named my icon mitz.ico
- That’s it. Now you can use it to represent a program or folder.
How to change an icon
- To change an icon on the desktop, simply right click on it
- A menu will appear. Choose Properties
- A dialog box will appear. Choose change icon
- You can choose one that is shown or press browse to navigate to your own creation.
- To change a folder icon, go to the folder and right click on it. Choose Properties>Customise tab>change icon
- You cannot change folders created by Windows. For example My Pictures can’t be customised.
- Changing your icons can make certain things stand out and make it easy to find.