If you have Windows vista then you will know that it takes a fair bit of memory to have it run smoothly. I personally think you need a minimum of 2gb of ram in Windows Vista, and if you do not, you may have to disable Superfetch.
What is Superfetch?
Superfetch is a service in Windows Vista that remembers and takes note of which applications you use often, and keeps them at hand, ready to open quickly. This is a fantastic feature if you have enough memory to store these programs on hand.
How does Superfetch work?
It monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they’ll be ready when you need them. Superfetch is constantly working in the background; trying to anticipate what programs you will need the most. The only problem is, can we trust Superfetch to pick the right programs?
How does Superfetch choose which programs are important?
Can you tell Superfetch what applications to choose?
By altering your registry you can tell Superfetch to make its choice from just the boot files, applications only, both, or disable it altogether.
How to disable the Superfetch service.
When you right click on your blank desktop a menu appears. This is the desktop right click menu. This menu usually contains default links such as personalize or properties, view, new, and more. This tutorial will show you how to add items to your right click menu. You can basically link to anything as long as you know the command to enter. For example if you type a command into the run box to start a program, then this is the command to use.
To change the desktop right click menu we need to edit the registry which is not for the new computer users to try. Editing the registry can cause your computer to not run or stop working completely.
How to add a link to your right click menu?
- Open the run box by pressing the WIN KEY and R.
- Then type regedit into the run box and press ok.
- Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
- Look for Directory, expand this.
- Expand background.
- Now Select the word Shell and right click on it to being a menu up.
- Choose New.
- Then choose Key.
- Name your key Control Panel. Press ok.
- Then select the word control panel and right click on it.
- Choose new, then choose key.
- Type in command.
- Then select command and look in the right window.
- Right click on the word default and enter the command to make control panel run which is rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
- Now close the registry and go to your desktop, right click and choose control panel.