Using Microsoft messenger to chat and communicate with friends is an everyday occurrence for millions of people. Logging in to MSN messenger or Windows Live Messenger is a daily routine, and when you can’t login for some reason, it is a disaster. There are a few possible causes as to why it will not let you login.
When connecting or signing in and you are having problems, click on the more details link to see if there is an error message or number that might help you solve this situation. For example you might get an error code 80048051.
Disable compatibility mode for Visual themes (option 1)
1. Go to the start menu
2. Choose Computer or My Computer from the menu
3. Double click on C: drive
4. Then find the Program Files folder
5. In here you will see the Windows Live folder and in that the Messenger folder.
6. Right-click the file msnmsgr.exe, and choose Properties.
Note: The exe file will be described as an Application file and will have a nice icon. If you double click on the icon it will start the program. Not that we want to open it.
7. Click on the Compatibility tab.
8. Untick the checkbox at “Disable visual themes”.
9. Click OK.
10. Now try to sign in to Messenger.
Take the shortcut to the properties of Live Messenger by finding the program in the start menu, right clicking on it, and choosing properties. See the screenshot below.
Disable Internet Explorer Offline mode (option 2)
Believe it or not, even though Internet Explorer and Windows Live messenger are separate programs, they are mysteriously connected in some way. Even if you do not use Internet Explorer for your preferred browser, it could still be the problem.
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click on the File menu at the top. In the newer version click on the tools menu on the right.
3. Untick the option Offline mode. In new versions of Internet Explorer make sure there is a red cross next to Work offline. See the screenshot below.
Other options to try when you cannot sign in to windows Live messenger:
- Restart your computer
- Upgrade Internet Explorer