Find an explanation of what some of the windows control panel tools do:
Accessibility Options: it’s a tool that has various functions to help people with special needs. Some of the functions are:
- High Contrast which can improve font size and screen colors.
- StickKeys lets you use the shift, ctrl and alt keys by pressing one key at a time.
- FilterKeys adjusts keyboard response.
- SoundSentry will provide visual warnings instead of system sounds.
Add Hardware: is a wizard that assists in detecting and installing hardware devices connected to the computer.
Add or Remove Programs: is a program that allows you to uninstall or add a programs, updates and other windows components. See more about how to add or remove programs.
Administrative Tools: is a folder that gives access to the following tools:
- Component Services lets you play with COM+ programs, you can also use scripting and is really only a useful tool to seriously advanced users.
- Computer Management is a tool that helps you control local and remote computers and certain specific system properties.
- Data Sources (ODBC) is an interface for programmers who need to access database management systems.
- Event Viewer lets you view system logs (information) about events that happen on your computer ranging from security problems to hardware problems.
- Local Security Policy will let you manage security settings for your system.
- Performance shows real time information about your systems performance such as memory and processing information.
- Services lets you manage the services (programs that run in the background) that run on your computer.
Automatic Updates: checks for the latest windows updates from Microsoft. It’s important to understand that these updates can be critical because they fix bugs, improve compatibility with hardware and protect you from security threats to name a few of their functions.
CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer: will slow down the optical drive to help reduce the noise it creates.
Date and Time: you can use to adjust the computers date and time settings.