Most email programs let you attach a html signature file. This will enable you to attach the signature file to any outgoing emails, without having to write the details for each email. The hardest part is finding out how to make a html file. In this tutorial I will show you how to make this html file and how to make a link to a website or a logo. If you are using a newer version of Outlook then please see how to create email signatures for Outlook 2007.
This tutorial is still valid for writing HTML in your signature. You might just want a simple like to a website.
How to make a html signature file?
- Open notepad. (start menu>all programs>accessories>notepad)
- Write your details in. It can be a html link or a url path to your logo that is stored on the internet. You can also just simple put your business name, address, and phone number. (See below for instruction on how to make a link)
- When you have finished writing your text, go to the file menu at the top.
- Choose Save As from the menu. See the screenshot below.
- Now see the screenshot below. Name your html file something you will remember.
- Instead of saving the file with the file extension .txt you need to save it as .html
- See how I have saved my file as Email-sig3.html
- When you have written your file name in then press save.
So the moral of the story is that we are going to save this notepad file as a .html file.
How to add a html link to a website in your email signature?
- The first thing we need to know is the URL of the website we want to link to…In this case I am going to link to http://www.tips4pc.com but I want it to look like this Tips4pc.com
- Here is what the html looks like to do this:
- <a href=” http://www.tips4pc.com”>Tips4pc.com</a>
- Green = My link
- Yellow = What my link will look like (Anchor text)
- Now if you look at the screenshot below you can see more links that I have used.
This is what my signature looks like. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger picture.
How to make a link to a logo?
- Firstly you need to find the url or web address of where your picture or logo is located. See How to find the url to a picture or logo on the internet
- Yes your picture needs to be stored somewhere on the internet. Even storing it on Facebook is fine.
- To simply write html code to include the picture is simple.
- <img src=”http://www.tips4pc.com/images/picture.jpg”>
- To make the image a link:
- <a href=”http://www.tips4pc.com” img src=”http://www.tips4pc.com/images/picture.jpg”</a>
- Green = My link
- Yellow = Where the picture is stored on the internet.
Another article that might help is How to create anchor text.
Regardless of what you put in the signature file, you will need to save the notepad file as a .html file.