What is a static and dynamic IP address?
On your home network, when you connect to the internet your computer is automatically assigned a unique IP Address. This is called a Dynamic IP Address and is randomly chosen each time you connect to the network. This means that you will end up with a different IP address if you are allowing the computer to automatically configure the network.
For example if the first computer has 10.0.0.1 as its IP address and another computer connects to the same network it will become 10.0.0.2. If there are two more computers on the network, which ever connects to the internet first will be 10.0.0.3.
If you manually set your computer a permanent IP Address it is called a Static IP address. You must assign each individual computer on your network a unique number to avoid conflicts. Or on the other hand you can set one or two computers a static IP and let the rest get theirs randomly. I to change my computer IP address on my home network to a Static IP as I need to know what it is for file sharing and remote desktop. I do not want to have to look up the IP every time I use remote desktop.
Now all this is about the local IP address of your computer. But this also applies to your global IP. See the difference between a local IP and a Global IP.
Advantages of a Dynamic IP Address
- Your IP is random and changes often. Probably good for security reasons.
- Each time you connect a device to your network it is automatically configured for you.
Disadvantages of a Dynamic IP Address
- When you want to use remote desktop and access a computer within your network you will need to know the IP address. If it changes each time you connect then this can be annoying.
- When you connect more than one device on a network there can be IP conflicts. That means that two devices might be fighting for the same IP.
Advantages of a Static IP Address
- If you are using VOIP (voice over internet protocol) then people need to know your IP to phone you. Having a dynamic IP is just annoying in this case.
- If you have a CCTV system at a remote location you need to global IP address to connect to the camera system. If you have a set static IP address then you will not have to try and find the IP address every time you want to connect.