When you go to start remote desktop, sometimes you will find that the remote desktop shortcut is missing from the Accessories folder in the Windows start menu.
It is very simple to replace when you follow these step by step instructions below.
1. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and look for the mstsc.exe file. See the screenshot below.
2. Right click on the file and select create shortcut from the menu. You will be asked to create the shortcut on the desktop.
3. Navigate to this folder: C:\Users\Mitz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\StartMenu\Programs\Accessories\Communications for XP computers. Please note that the user name should be your username.
Please note that App Data may be hiding so follow these instructions to show hidden files on your computer.
4. Drag the shortcut we created on the desktop into this folder.
5. Right click on the new shortcut and choose to rename the shortcut to Remote Desktop Connection.