Public folder sharing is when you have a folder on your computer that anyone can access if they are on the same network as you. This could mean that people on public networks could see these files that you might be sharing unknowingly.
The Public folders are great if you want to temporarily share a file with other people but if this public folder is enabled, all it contains is shared.
Public folder sharing can be enabled or completely disabled, it is up to the network administrator.
See What IS Being Shared In The Public Folder
1. Go to the start menu and click on computer.
2. Click on c: drive and then enter the users folder.
3. There will be a public folder there. Click on the folder to see what is being shared.
So you have a public sharing folder with files in it.. now find out if it is being shared.
The public folder is located in the same place in Windows 7,8, and Windows Vista.
Check To See If Public Folder Sharing Is On Or NOT
Sometimes people click on everything on their computers and really have no idea what settings are on or off. Here is how to see if public folder sharing is on or off:
1. Go to the start menu and click on control panel.
2. Double click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.
3. When the network and sharing center opens click on change advanced sharing settings. See the screenshot below. In Windows vista you will see the sharing option below in the system properties. In windows seven you need to click on the change advance sharing settings.
4. Click on the drop down arrow next to your current profile. Mine is the Home or Work profile.
5. Scroll down to see the Public folder sharing section.
6. Choose Turn off Public folder sharing.
If You Must Leave Public Folder Sharing On
If for some reason you need to share your public folder then you can still take some safety precautions.
1. Turn on password-protect sharing so you can control Public folder access. This is because people will need to have an account and password to login to to see the public folder. You can turn on password protected sharing in the same place we turned the public folder sharing off.
2. You cannot set detailed permissions for your public folder so don’t put your original document or file in there as it could be changed or deleted.
3. Monitor what is in the public sharing folder as you might share a personal file with someone and leave it in there.