Sometimes when you have internet problems you can disable Internet connection on your network adapter to try and fix the problem. Disabling your internet connection is like turning your modem off at the switch. It will disable internet connections, including wireless. If you have a network connections icon in your taskbar you will notice that the little icon will get a big cross through it when you disable the connection.
When you disable Internet connection, the computer will then reconnect the Internet and hopefully your previous problems will be cleared. The most common problem is usually an IP address conflict and disabling the Internet network connection would mean that when reconnected, a new IP address would be used.
Reasons to disable Internet connection?
- When you have an IP address conflict on your network, disabling and enabling your internet connection will renew your automatic IP’s and sometimes may fix the problem.
- If you have more than one network adapter installed, it is better to disable the ones you are not using as they may interfere with each other.
- Disabling individual connections when they are not being used can improve network reliability and security.
- This is a good way to stop your computer from communicating with the internet. Sometimes viruses can send information over the internet. It is good to disable your internet when trying to get rid of a particularly bad virus.
How to disable internet connection in Windows XP
In Windows XP there are two ways to enable or disable your internet connection. The first way is to simply double click on the network connections icon in the taskbar. On the general tab, click on disable. This is shown in the screen shot above.
The second way to enable or disable your internet network connection is to open network connections in the control panel.
How to disable Internet connection in Windows Vista and Windows 7?
1. Go to the start menu at the bottom of the screen and choose Control Panel from the menu.
2. When you are in the Control Panel click on the network and sharing Center icon.
3. Click on them manage network connections in the left sidebar.
4. The network connections will now open up. Choose your Internet connection that you want to disable.
5. Right click and choose disable from the menu to disable Internet connection.
You can also double-click on the network connections icon in the taskbar to open the network and sharing Centre in Windows Vista and Windows 7. It is all pretty much the same as Windows XP, but it just looks a little bit different. So next time you want to disable Internet connection you will have no problem doing so.