You do not have to be a computer technician to find out how to change your computer’s IP address in Windows Vista.
Previously we have published articles about finding your IP address on your home computer network, however this applied to Windows XP. If you want to change your computers Ip address on Windows Vista, things have changed a little bit. You will need to go to the Network and Sharing center which is a new feature in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
How to change your computers IP Address in Windows Vista?
1. Click on the network icon in the notification area in your taskbar.
2. This will bring up a small box with a link to the Network and Sharing Center. See the screenshot below.
3. If you do not have this icon in the notification area you can go to the start menu, click on control panel, then double click on the Network and Sharing center icon.
4. When the Network and Sharing Center appears, press on the link View Status, as shown in the screenshot below.
5. Your connection status will appear. Press on the properties button.
6. Now you will see a list that contains your network adapter that you are using to connect to the internet.
7. See below I have selected my network adapter by making it blue. Please see the notes at the end of the article if you do not know which one to choose.
8. When it is selected press on the properties button.
9. Now your connection properties will appear.
10. Press on Use the following IP address and then it will let you put your preferred IP address and other details in.
11. After you have finished entering in your details, press ok.
Notes on adding a link in the right click menu:
- If you are connected to the internet already and know your IP has already been changed this article might help. How to view your computer IP Address.
- If you do not know what network adapter your computer is using you should see this article How to see what Network adapter your computer is using in Windows Vista