This article presumes you have a network setup already!
People often neglect the obvious, and this is definitely one of those tips that has been right in front of you the whole entire time. You might not be able to find a computer on your home network and this little trick might just help.
To find another computer on your home network you will need:
- To have a home network setup on your computers
- To know the computer name of the computer you are searching for. Read how to find your computer name.
- To know the username and password to access the other computer If there isn’t a password you should add one.
Here is how to find another computer on your home network.
- Open My Computer from the Start menu in the bottom left corner
- Press the search button at the top (with the magnify glass next to it)
- Then choose what you want to search for.. We want to choose Computers and People
- See screenshot to the right
- Under the heading of Which computer are you looking for, type in the computer name you want to find.
- Then press search and it will find it.
Now you can double click the computer and you will be asked for the username and password. Once you have done that you will be able to see what that computer is sharing. Also see how to enable file sharing.
Browse Sitemap for more Free Computer Help
- You can also search the other computer for a specific file or folder by pressing Search this computer for files.
- If you don’t know the computer name type “*” (star key) to show all the computers on your network.