In the old days, if you wanted to find the IP address of other computers on your home network, it would be a big ordeal. If you wanted to avoid doing everything the hard way, and you still wanted to know the IP address of the other computer, you would usually have to get out of your chair and directly look on the other computer. After all we are talking about finding IP address of other computers on your home network, so they must be located in your house.
Back in the days of Windows 95 and even Windows XP, you would see me running around the house grabbing the IP of the computer, just so I can remote desktop to it. This is because I could not be bothered with all the other ways when the computer was just in the next room. Now I do not even have to get out of the chair.
Now this tutorial is only for Windows Vista and Windows 7. It also may depend on which version of Windows vista you have as I have Windows Vista ultimate. At the bottom of this article I would appreciate any feedback as to whether this tutorial works on your operating system version? I am pretty sure that this feature came along with Windows Vista update that I received without noticing, however Windows 7 should come with it by default.
Why would you want to find the IP address of other computers?
- The main reason I want to find the IP address of other computers is so I can remote desktop to them. This is when I am on one computer in my lounge room but actually using Remote Desktop to get to the computer in my office.
- Having having the IP address of another computer on your network can allow you to share files or access files. I guess we don’t need that now days because filesharing is so much easier now.
- You could definitely use this method to find the IP address of your router as well.
If you are interested, here are some more Networking Tips.
Find the IP address of other computers on your home network
1. Open the network and sharing Center. You can do this by going to your start menu, choosing Control Panel, and then double-clicking on the network and sharing icon.
2. You can also go to the network icon in your notification area and click on it and a box will appear with a link to the network and sharing Center. See the screen shot below.
3. When the network and sharing Center opens find the link near the top that says see full map.
4. Wait while the Map of your network loads. You will see other computers that are turned on and that are in your home network.
5. To see the IP address of other computers, simply hover over the computer you are interested in.
You will not only see the IP address of other computers, but you will also see the MAC address, and other handy details.
Notes on how to find the IP address of other computers on your home network:
- To see the IP address of other computers or maybe your router press on the link in the left sidebar that says view computers and devices.
Please comment below and let me know if you can find the IP address of other computers on your home network using this method?