Picking a good internet speed test website is no easy task at all. A quick search on Google will throw up hundreds of these sites but most of the time the websites are nothing but a mere traffic trap. The majority of them give out inaccurate test results and only a handful come even remotely close. In this article we are going to look at a website that we regard as the best there is in this field.
Testing Plusnet broadband or any other provider
Anyone that has ever used speed test.net will agree that it is one of the best speed test sites out there without a doubt. On speedtest.net, you will find a very long list of remote test servers, an interface that is fun and intuitive and statistic tools that are unrivalled. All this combined ensures people run back to the site and recommend it for others when they have to do a speed test. So, instead of wasting precious time and data sifting through junk sites, you may want to start off with this site first. Let’s look at a brief description of what to expect and the site’s advantages and disadvantages.
Highlighted description of what to expect from speedtest.net
- On speedtest.net, your bandwidth is tested between your computer and a test server closest to you. The servers span across the world.
- While carrying out the test, your bandwidth is shown on a speedometer like display, a format that anyone can understand.
- On logging in, the website immediately calculates the nearest testing server to you. This helps you avoid having to go through the numerous test servers manually and starts the testing process faster.
- Your test result will be stored on the website. This will help you to compare results with previous ones and so you can keep an eye on improvements, or lack of them.
- The results can be compared to others based on certain parameters like service provider, location, etc.
- You also see statistics from around the world, which you can use to gauge what the speed is like in other parts of the world.
- The test results are personalised so that it can be emailed or shared with other users online.
- The results include numbers for upload, download and latency, ensuring that a complete picture of your connection is painted.
Here is a look at the advantages and disadvantages of using speedtest.net:
- The numerous test locations available ensure that test results are as accurate as possible.
- You won’t have to select test location by yourself as it is selected automatically based on your IP address.
- The graphics on the site are the most appealing you can find all over the web
- Thanks to the automatic graphic creation ability of the site, users can automatically share test result with others.
- You can save the test results for comparison with people from any part of the globe
- You can test Plusnet broadband, Sky or any other provider
- The heavy graphics makes the site almost inaccessible to people with dialup connections
- Test locations still do not cover all parts of the world.
Other internet speed test sites:
- The website loads faster as it is HTML5 compliant instead of working with flash or Java. This makes it easy to use on iPads, iPhones and even Android devices.
- It is not a burden on the user’s system. We all hate having to wait online and speed tests are no exception. So any site that allows you to complete your test result in seconds should be lauded.
- There are 21 servers to choose from. Not a huge number, but they get the job done for most people.
- The layout of the site makes it easy to test mobile broadband connections.
- The graphic is basic. A bit too simplistic.
- Test results do not cover enough details. Apart from uploads and download speeds, you won’t get anything else.
- With just 21 servers, the results obtained are not authoritative. Most people shouldn’t bother using the site as the test result does not cover enough geographical locations.
- Easy to use interface makes navigation easy for users.
- Fast test completion time is a plus for this site. Waiting time is under a minute.
- Comprehensive test results can be received from the site as all the basics are covered properly.
- There is no provision for manually choosing test servers, making the test results very hypothetical for most people, and a problem for people using proxies.
- No provision for sharing test results with other users, as the result isn’t saved on the webpage.
- Easy to read test results
- Fast test completion time
- You get upload and download bandwidth results
- Tests are conducted over a single server
- Results cannot be relied on
All of the sites above are decent places you could go but speedtest.net trumps them all. Of course, the key is in selecting a service where you will be able to choose an appropriate server. In fact, if the test site does not have a server that is close enough to you, then the result will be inconsequentially inaccurate.
After confirming your speed, if you don’t feel happy with what you see, you can tweak your computer a bit to see if you can improve it. If all the tweaks fail, then maybe it is time for you to consider getting a better connection, or at least speaking to your internet service provider. There is little point having unlimited broadband data allowance through a great provider like Sky or Plusnet broadband if your speed won’t let you do any intensive activities.
For accurate results run your speed test when you are the only person online. Other devices downloading, streaming, or even just surfing will be sharing the bandwidth and will man that you get inaccurate speed test result on the device on which you are testing.
Improve Your Internet Speed
You might have great internet package like the one offered by by Sam Jones but your slow internet can be caused by many other things that are usually causing havoc in the background. PCMatic is an award winning piece of sotware that will not only optimize your internet speeds, it will also clean out your computer and remove all the junk that causes everything to slow down. Get a Free Scan before you buy.