I know that learning how to hide your Facebook friends list sounds a bit paranoid, however, we really need to start thinking about our privacy. There are many good reasons why you should hide your Facebook friends list from public viewing. One important reason is that by showing your friends list, you could be putting your Facebook friends at risk from identity theft. You might be calling me paranoid right now, but really this is happening all the time!
On the other hand you should be asking your friends to hide their friends lists to keep your identity safe. Did you know that Facebook is incorporating Facial recognition software into their system. This means a stranger can match a photo of you to your name. I have also previously written articles about Facebook monitoring options for your children and learning to hide your friends list is just another way to protect your privacy.
Please note that Facebook changes the layout of its website every week. I have never seen anything like it! As soon as I do a tutorial about Facebook it becomes out of date. These screenshots that I have below were taken on 29 September 2011.
How to hide your Facebook friends list
1. Login to Facebook.
2. Click on your username at the top of the screen on the right.
3. Click on the edit profile button. See the screenshot below.
4. In the left column there is a menu. Choose friends and family from the menu.
5. Go to the friends section and click on the drop-down Arrow next to your friends icons. See the screenshot below where the Arrow is pointing.
6. From the drop down menu, you can see choices. Below I have chosen to only show my friends list to me only.
That is how to hide your Facebook friends list from the public or even from other friends.
Here is a video that I made showing how to hide your Facebook friends list, however it is out of date, as Facebook updated its website again. The above screenshots are the latest way to hide your Facebook friends list.