Facebook monitoring has almost become part of our required parenting skills and now we have to learn how to spy on a computer. Now days children as young as 10 years old have joined Facebook to socialize, share, or chat with friends and family.most of us are left wondering what age is too young for Facebook? As parents, you will be faced with the hard decision of whether you should or should not be spying on your children’s Facebook activities.
If you do decide to watch what your child does, Facebook monitoring can be done with software or simply by good old fashioned strict supervision. The problem is, either way as a parent, you are going to have to learn the ropes of Facebook monitoring.
Facebook Monitoring Without Software
If you plan to be the the Facebook chat monitor in your house, you will need to be on the ball. You will have to first realize that children nowadays are tech savvy and can probably run rings around you when it comes to computers and technology.
Preparation to become a Facebook chat monitor:
- You will need to know your child’s email address and password for Facebook.
- You will need to know how to change settings on Facebook.
- You will have to set a password to login to the computer. This is so the child cannot access the computer without you knowing.
Sample Rules for using Facebook monitoring:
- Set a time when your child can access Facebook. It is best if you are close by.
- Your child will need to ask permission to become friends with someone. I mean who are your friends on Facebook? Does anyone really know them?
- New friends must have been met face to face and of the same age group.
- The child needs to show you any photos being uploaded to Facebook.
- children do not have to show a real picture of them for their Facebook profile picture.
Settings that should be changed of Facebook for children:
- Do not show anyone your email address. There is an option to hide your email address.
- Do not share posts with anyone other than direct friends. do not let status updates get shared with friends of friends of friends..
- Strangers cannot see your account or your friends list. This is a good one.
- Do not let our child get tagged in photos. You cannot simply remove tags from photos when there are too many.
Discuss things like:
Who are you friends?
What do your friends talk about on Facebook?
What photos do you post on Facebook?
Watch this video showing how to change settings in your Facebook Account
Warning: this video is long and might case drowsiness! 🙂
Using Windows for Facebook Monitoring
You can setup parental controls in Windows seven and Windows Vista but it will really only block the Facebook website. If you want to use activity reports to monitor your kids’ computer activity you can download an extra added feature for the normal parenting controls.
See more Facebook tips and tricks
Using Facebook Monitoring Software or Facebook Spy Software
Of course you would have heard of NetNanny software, but now it has Facebook chat monitoring included. I think it is great that this feature has been included in the software. It also monitors other popular chat software so if you are not the technical type you might be better off buying this to help monitor Facebook.
Buy Net Nanny now and Save 25%! BUY NOW
Even with Facebook chat monitoring you will still have to change settings in Facebook or set the software up. There is not avoiding a tiny bit of technical work when venturing into Facebook monitoring.