You need to change your privacy settings on your Facebook account before you start using Facebook. Do you really want everyone on the internet seeing all your private family photos and conversations on Facebook? People often presume that if you have a Facebook account, everyone can automatically see everything. This is not true. You can change your Facebook privacy settings to suit your needs. For example you can allow any old stranger to view your whole account and stalk you, or you can hide your profile and block them out. There are options to just let your friends see your profile or even friends of friends. You can also hide your friends list. There are so many options available.
It is important for parents to know about social network privacy options available.
How to change your privacy settings in your Facebook account?
These instructions might be different now and I suggest you browse through our latest Facebook articles to see a more updated version.
- Sign into your Facebook account.
- Go to the top of the page. Click on the arrow next to Account to see the drop down menu.
- Choose privacy settings from the menu. See the screenshot below.
- The privacy settings window will appear. See the screenshot below.
- Press on Profile Information.
- The privacy Settings – Profile Information will open.
- If you press on the drop down arrows for each section you can change the privacy setting. See the screenshot below.
- This is a detailed way to change your privacy settings. You can make all different privacy settings for each section.
A Quick way to change your privacy settings on Facebook?
- On your profile page, click on the arrow next to the lock. See below.
- Choose a privacy setting from the drop down menu.
Privacy settings on Facebook are not only important for you, but it is also important for your friends. For example your friends might be leaving you open to identity theft because of the privacy settings that they have.