When you are new to using Excel you can start by creating a simple budget or just simply adding a list of figures to show what Excel can do. Below I will show you step by step how to create a simple budget.
- Create a list of all your expenses or all your earnings. See the example below.
- Under all of the expenses or earnings in this case; type ‘=’ in the box.
- Then click on the first earning. For example if I clicked on $20.00 that is listed next to Monday and the cell coordinates will be entered after the equals sign. So therefore each box I click on will be added to this automatically.
- After the first entry put a ‘+’ or ‘-‘ to either add or subtract. In this example I will put a plus sign because I want to add all of the figures together.
- Repeat the last two step until you have done all of your expenses/earnings. Go back and put a plus sign, then click on another cell location that you want to add.
- Finally push enter and the total will appear.
If you wanted to subtract your expenses from your earnings you would simply click on the box where you want the answer to go, type an = sign then click on the total of your earnings, type a minus sign, then click on the total of your expenses. This will take your expenses away from your earnings.
Excel can be a difficult program to master. If you are interested in learning more see this Excel video training course. They make everything look so easy!