Did you know you can setup a Gmail email address to be delivered into your email box on your computer. Therefore you can receive Gmail emails to your Outlook Express, Office Outlook, or even Thunderbird email box right on your computer.
If you do this, it seems there is a common error that occurs to almost everyone. When you try to login to your email to send and receive messages it comes up with an error message saying “web login required” or ” Your IMAP server wishes to alert you to the following: Web login required. (Failure).
Don’t panic because I did say this was a common error, and maybe it is not an error, but simply an instruction that needs to be mentioned when setting up a Gmail IMAP account.
There could be two causes for this error, however the first one I am going to mention is the most common.It is caused by a simple security measure that Google has to prevent automated scripts and bots from accessing your accounts. When you first try to login to Gmail from a remote email client, the correct thing to do is unlock this security so it can trust who you are. Therefore we have to unlock Google’s Captcha.
Things to check before try the solutions below:
- Check you have the right username and password.
- Check your email settings. Have you entered all the details in correctly? Here is how to setup a Gmail Imap account.
How to unlock Google’s Captcha?
1. Go to this website. https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
2. Fill in your email address and your password for that email. See the screen shot below.
3. Now go an try and login to your email through the email program on your computer.
When I actually tried to send or receive email with the Gmail account through my Outlook it would not let me. It came up with and error saying that I had invalid credentials, however I knew my username and password were right. Then I searched Gmail help and found this answer which solved my problem immediately.
I had to clear or unlock my CAPTCHA in my Google account. Captcha is the verification letters that come up to verify you are a human and not a computer. If you visit the link above this problem will be easily solved.
Another cause – why you cannot login to your Gmail email account on your computer:
Your email program might be sending a query to Gmail and nagging it to download new emails too often. In this case you need to change the frequency settings in your email program to not over check the emails coming from Gmail. Google recommends to set your mail client to check for new messages not more than once every 10 minutes.
How to get Outlook to check your emails every __ minutes?
Change your email settings to check for email less frequently.
1. In Outlook go to Tools menu at the the top.
2. Choose Options from the menu.
3. On the Mail Setup tab.
4. Click on the send/Receive button. See the screen shot below.
5. The Send/Receive Groups dialog box will open.
6. Below you will see you can change the frequency of sending and receiving emails.
Checking every 30 minutes is a reasonable number.
How to change Thunderbird email to check emails every so minutes?
1. Open Thunderbird email.
2. Go the the Tools menu at the top of the page.
3. Choose Account Settings from the menu.
4. Find the email address you want to change settings for.
5. Click on server settings under the correct email address.
6. Check the box Check for new email messages every.
7. Fill in the amount in minutes.
8. Press Ok at the bottom.
See the screen shot below. Click on it to see a larger picture.