IMAP allows you to download your Gmail email to other devices such as mobile phones, blackberries, and computers. So for example if you wanted to read your Gmail email in Outlook Express which is installed on your computer, then you will have to enable IMAP. This is a new feature in Gmail email that the other free email services do not offer.
How to Enable IMAP in your Gmail Email Account so you can send and receive emails with Outlook or Windows Mail:
- Sign into your Gmail email account. If you don not have one you can go to Gmail and signup for a free email account.
- Sign into your Gmail Email account. You will see your email links and settings.
- Go to the top right of the page and press on settings. (see screenshot below)
- Now the Gmail email settings will appear. (See the first screenshot below)
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Go to the bottom section and choose the enable IMAP by checking the box.
- Now Press the SAVE CHANGES button at the bottom. If you do not press this the changes will not take effect.