I realised that the first tutorial I did on this subject I converted AVI to DVD with Nero 7 essentials V188.8.131.52. This did not suit some users that had just the plain old Nero Essentials. I did not realise that the two were so completely different!! Therefore this tutorial applies to Nero 7 essentials OEM cd which comes with most dvd or cd burners. It is only a 30 day trial version, but it does the job.
Follow my instructions to convert your AVI movie file to burn to DVD, Cd or even a flash drive.
What you will need to convert your avi movie file to burn to dvd or cd disc.
- Nero Burning Software. I just have a trial version that works for 30 days. (Nero 7 essentials OEM cd)
- A dvd, cd, burner installed into your computer. You can also just store the file on your computer.
- An AVI movie file to convert to Dvd movie to put to a dvd disc.
Convert AVI movie file to DVD movie and burn to dvd disc
- Open Nero Smart Start
- From the very top drop down menu, the setting can be on dvd or CD
- Then click on the Copy DVD-Video Movies to CD
If you have a trial version of Nero tick the box that says Do not show this box again, then press cancel. Click on the thumbnail to see a screenshot of this window.
- Now you can Choose if you want to put your movie on a dvd, cd, flash drive.
- If you choose an 80 min cd the movie will be compressed to just under 700 mb. If you choose DVD it will be uncompressed to anything under 4.7gb. See Picture 1 below.
- Tick the box that says Fit to Target to make the movie the size you choose.
- Then click on Import files.
- Browse for your movie. I have chosen an AVI to put on a normal cd. You can also convert it to a dvd disc.
- Select your movie by making it blue and then press Add Files. See Picture 3.
- Then press close.
- The movie file will be ready to convert. Now Press Next. (Picture 2)
- Nero Essentials Recode will start to Encode and will save a file to burn a disc or dvd, which ever you chose.
- Instead of choosing a dvd or cd for the finished dvd movie, you can choose the size of your usb flash drive.
- An AVI movie file means the movie has been compressed to a smaller size. Some home dvd players can not read this format and therefore it is necessary to convert the movie to mpeg to be playable.
- Please be aware that, in some countries, it is illegal to even backup a dvd movie that you have bought and paid for. This tutorial is to help convert your home movies only.