When I want to convert a DVD movie to AVI I like to use DVD decrypter and DVDx because they are both free programs and do a great job. Converting DVD movie files to Avi compresses the file into one neat little package, whereas there are up to 50 DVD files for one movie.
Firstly, you will need to rip or get the movie files to your computer with DVD decrypter and then convert the DVD files to avi with DVDx. DVDx also converts the DVD to avi straight from the DVD burner which is pretty amazing for a free program.
To convert DVD to avi you will need:
- A DVD burner drive
- Download DVD decrypter and install it. See How to use DVD Decrypter and you can download it at the Download Free Software page.
- Download and install DVDx
- Download Divx video codec. All these are available on the Download Free Software page.
Why would you want to convert a DVD movie file to avi?
- If you convert DVD files to avi it makes the movie easier to store as it is compressed. The quality is still good however the avi file size is 5 to 10 times smaller, depending on the settings.
- I convert our home movies to avi and put about 7 DVD movies on one DVD disc. I am lucky because my home DVD player can read compressed movies. They are not as good as an original DVD but they are still clear, in sync, and easy to flick through.
Watch this video tutorial on how to convert DVD to avi with DVD decrypter and DVDx.
If you have a slow internet connection see my tips to watching a video on the internet at the Video Tutorials page.
- Making an avi will also make the movie clip smaller to look at. If you want it bigger you will have to choose SVCD. SVCD will probably play in your DVD player.
- In the input settings there is a setting to choose pal or NTSC. If you are in the US you need NTSC.
- If you choose SVCD instead of avi it will take longer to convert DVD because it will be better quality.
- In DVDx if you are making a VCD choose 352×288 for PAL and 352×240 for NTSC,
- In DVDx if you are making a SVCD choose 480×576 for PAL and 480×480 for NTSC
- If you are making a WMV it will be 512×384