When you have a network of two or more computers in your house, it is very easy to then connect one printer to facilitate both computers. This is a network printer. It can be a normal printer connected to one of the computers and the other computer accesses the printer over the network.
However sometimes there can be errors. Apart from the obvious errors which be just simply having the settings wrong, there is another common error when dealing with a network printer.
It is a driver problem. Sometimes the main computer needs some persuading to share the printer driver with the new computer.
ERROR: You do not have permission to use the selected printer. If you need access, contact your network administrator:
This error can occur when trying to use the newly installed network printer. See the screenshot below.
How to fix this network printer problem “ERROR: You do not have permission to use the selected printer. If you need access, contact your network administrator”:
- Open the printer and faxes folder from the start menu or the control panel.
- Delete the network printer that does not work.
- Right click in the blank space and choose add printer from the menu. If there is a left sidebar menu then choose add printer from there.
- Now the Add printer wizard will appear. Press next.
- Then select an option that describes the printer you want to use.
- Choose local printer attached to this computer and press next.
- Now put a check in the box use the following port.
- Press the arrow to see the dropdown menu. See if your printer path is there.
- Select it if it is.
- If it isn’t there check the box next to create a new port. See screenshot below.
- Now choose local port from the dropdown menu and then press next.
- Type in your path to your network printer in the section where it says Enter a port name.
- Your network printer path is and then the name of the computer the printer is installed on, then and then the printer share name. See Add Network Printer for more details.
- After you have typed the correct network printer path you will be asked to choose your printer from a list or press on have disc to install a driver.
- If you have a printer driver disc make sure it is in the cd drive.
- Then you will be asked to name your printer.
- Now you must choose if you want to share this printer. As it is already shared from another computer it is not necessary to press on share. It is this computer that is borrowing the use of it..It is not yours to share.
- Complete the rest of the wizard, and then click Finish.
- If you type the wrong network printer path it will say that the network path is not found.
- Information for this article was gathered from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842
// // <![CDATA[