When you want to find a program in your Windows start menu it can sometimes be hard to see what you want in amongst all the clutter. To open a simple program through the start menu can be a nightmare, depending on how many programs you have on your computer. If you have a lot of programs installed then you have to scour the lists to search for the program that you want to open. For example if you wanted to open a notepad file from the Windows Vista start menu you would have to go to the start menu, click all programs, then accessories, and then notepad. This sounds simple, but is not. Just to find Accessories in amongst all the installed programs can be a huge effort by itself. This is why I like to pin my most commonly used programs to the start menu.
What does pin to the start menu mean?
When you pin something to the start menu it is placed in an easy to reach place. Instead of having to search and look everywhere for a shortcut to a program, if it were pinned to the start menu, it would be available instantly to click on. See the screenshot to the right. The arrow points to the items I have pinned to the start menu. I no longer have to browse through the start menu to open the programs listed there.
How to pin a program shortcut to the start menu in Windows Vista and XP?
- Press on the start menu so it opens.
- Browse to find the program shortcut that you wish to pin to the start menu.
- Right click your mouse on your selection. See below I have right clicked on Notepad which is in Accessories.
- A menu will appear. Choose Pin to start menu. Now notepad will be pinned to the start menu.
Pin An Item To The start Menu In Windows Seven
To pin your favourite program to the start menu in Windows seven, the process is exactly the same.
How to remove a program shortcut that is pinned to the start menu?
If you want to remove a shortcut that is pinned to your start menu simply right click on the item and choose remove from list.
Notes on pinning a shortcut to the start menu:
- I usually pin shortcuts that I use all the time.
- I pin notepad and calculator to the start menu because they do not have a desktop icon.