Nowadays it is very easy to install the printer, especially if you are buying it brand-new. They often come with their own installation disc and all you have to do is put this disc into your CD drive and let it run. You will be guided through your printer setup by a wizard install process, however if you do not have installation disc, then there are still other options you can try.
If you insert the printer installation disc first
When installing new devices onto a computer, like a printer, you will need a driver to run it. Luckily all new printers you buy nowadays come with an installation disc. This makes it very easy to install your new printer. If you insert this printer installation disc the process should start automatically. There will be step by step instructions on how to install your new printer. Putting the installation disc in first will not only tell you when to plug your printer in, but it will also install extra software for scanning, printing, and copying.
If the cd does not start automatically you can go to My computer and double click on the disc icon.
If you plug in the printer first
In this case your computer will automatically find anything new that is attached to your computer. Then you will see it finding a driver for your printer. If it cannot find a driver for your printer in Windows it will ask you to insert the printer installation disc.
If you want to install the printer without all the bulky software
The software that usually comes with new printers takes up allot of space and is sometimes unnecessary. To avoid having to install the extra software you can simply plug your printer in and let windows find it. This way it will only install the driver needed to run the printer.
Check your printers status in Device manager
If you go to Device manager you can see if your printer driver is installed correctly and you can also update it.
- Press the Win Key and the Pause Break key at the same time. System properties will open.
- Go to the hardware tab and choose device manager.
You will see a list of devices installed on your computer. If any have a yellow exclamation mark next to it, they have a problem. To see the properties of a device, right click on it and choose properties. You can also choose to update a driver here.
What are some of the features of Printers available to buy?
- Laser Printer Almost everyone has a laser printer because they are now so affordable, fast printing, and simple to install and operate. You can print anything with a laser printer, however the quality of your finished product depends on the quality of your printer.
- Disc Printer These printer actually print on the face of a compact disc. It is great if you have a lot of cd’s flying around. Printing on the disc makes it look professional. I give family and friends a disc with my photos on it. Labeling the disc makes it easy to recognize and remember what is on it.
- Label Printer This is my favorite printer. You can label cd cases, envelopes, files, kids toys, anything you find without a label. You can now create customized labels by changing the fonts, graphics and logos for your business.
- Network printer You can use any printer for a network printer, however you have to have a computer running so you can access the printer. With a network ready printer you can connect it directly to your router with an Ethernet cable. Then you can access the printer any time as it is a standalone device on the network. If you just have a normal printer that you want to use as a network printer see how to add a network printer
- Photo Printer These little printers are great. You can print your own photo in the 6×4 size photo at home. I must admit that the paper and ink do cost a fair bit, however you still can’t beet the convenience.
What if you have not got the printer disc?
If you cannot find your printer disk and you want to connect your printer you will need to download a device driver for your particular printer. You will have to search on the Internet for the driver for the exact model of your printer. Then you can install the printer after you have installed the device driver for it.