Sometimes we might need to enable cookies in Internet Explorer. You must have seen that message that comes up saying, “to enter this page you must enable cookies in Internet Explorer”. How annoying! On the other hand, I hate it when I have to type my password into a site log in because my cookies have been deleted. This is why I sometimes have to backup my cookies. I suppose we can’t win. If you do not even know what a cookie is, please see what is a cookie?
With all this collection of data and files you will have to clear internet cookies and browser cache to keep your computer running nicely. You will see an option to not delete your cookies and just get rid of all the other junk files on your computer.
However don’t worry too much because a cookie does not collect information about you or take any files from your computer. It is solely used to enable you to have a faster and more pleasant experience on the internet. The default browser setting is for cookies to be accepted, however sometimes you may have to enable cookies yourself.
How to enable cookies
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5 and 6:
- Open the Tools menu at the top of the browser window and select Internet Options
- Go to the Security tab and select Custom Level near the bottom of the window.
- Scroll down to the Cookies section and select Enable to Allow cookies that are stored on your computer
- Select OK
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7:
- Start Internet Explorer.
- From the toolbar select Tools
- Select Internet Options
- Select the Privacy tab
- Click Advanced
- Place a check in the Override Automatic Cookie Handling check box.
- Under First Party Cookies, select the Accept option.
- Under Third Party Cookies, select the Accept option.
- Click OK.
- In the Internet Options window, click on OK
Some webpage’s stop you from entering or using their website unless you enable cookies. A box will usually come up saying ‘please enable cookies if you wish to continue’. It sounds a bit crazy, but it does happen..
You can also watch this video on how to ENABLE COOKIES:
Notes on how to enable cookies:
- If you do not wish to automatically accept cookies, select the Prompt option instead. You will then be prompted every time a Web site tries to send you a cookie.
- On the privacy tab in Internet Explorer 7 you can press on Sites to personally type in any sites you do not want cookies from.
People used to be paranoid about websites collecting information from their computers, however now they realize that when you enable cookies, it is a safe thing to do and your privacy is not invaded.