With its features like superior networking capabilities, strong security, problem step recorder, the happening taskbar features like pinning of programs and jumplists and customization of icons etc. windows is ruling the hearts of its users. Moreover, it offers great ease of usage runs alike on desktops and notebooks and is reported as most powerful OS yet. Thus allowing to use it with confidence.
Window offers many other features and customizations which are not known to everyone. One such customization is changing the background picture of your logon screen or welcome screen. Yes, you can replace the default picture with your favorite picture and give it a more personalized look.
The good news is that unlike earlier versions of the window, you do not have to use any hacks or third party tools like Tune Up Utilities etc. to carry out this process. This customization has been included in Windows 7 officially, that means your system will not report any problem or malfunctioning due to this. It is as simple as changing your wallpaper; but a little bit tricky.
Change Your Logon Background in Windows 7
- 1. You need to download a registry file for this. The registry file can be downloaded from http://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/My%20uploaded%20files/Enable%20Logon%20In%20Windows%207.rar
- The file is a Zip file; extract it and in the folder double click on the registry file to trigger this feature. You can also right click and select merge to do the same.
- Next, go to your system’s installation drive (C drive) and head on to this location: C:WindowsSystem32oobe
- In this folder, create a new folder named Info. It may demand administrative privileges, confirm that and inside Info, create another folder named as backgrounds.
- When done, bring the image you want to set as your logon background to this folder. Rename it as backgroundDefault.
- Make sure you type in everything correctly as this is case sensitive.
- The most important thing for the ensuring change to take effect is that the image you copy to backgrounds folder should be a .jpg file and its size should not be more than 256KB.
- When you are done with all the steps and confirmed the validity of the prerequisites of the image to be a logon screen background, reboot the system.
- You will see your changes coming into effect. The background when your computer shuts down or when it starts is no longer same, it’s the image you specified.
This process does not involve changing of any system file, so it is secure. But you can create a system restore point before carrying out this process, to be on a safer side. Another thing to be kept in mind is that if the image you copied to the specified location is not a jpg image or its size exceeds 256 KB, then the default image will be chosen as the logon screen background.
This works with all the Windows 7 editions; Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise edition in 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64). But it may pose some problems or does not work at all with Windows 7 Starter edition. Otherwise, it works smoothly on all versions of Windows 7.
Now you can change your logon background picture to anything you like!