When Facebook first released the Facebook timeline where you needed a timeline cover image, many people did not like the change. Now I am finding the Facebook Timeline to be very business orientated and extremely useful.
Facebook has in fact given every business in the world a free place to advertise their business. They have reserved a prominent position on the Facebook Timeline cover area where you can upload an eye-catching banner or photo for your business.
You would have to be crazy not to take advantage of this advertising space, after all it is free and we all know how much advertising can cost.
It does not matter how big or how small your business is, the Facebook timeline cover photo has the same advantages for everyone. Promoting your business on Facebook has become a huge part of both online and off-line business marketing.
Size Does Matter – Image Size For Facebook Timeline Cover
If you can get your photo or picture sizes right on your Facebook timeline cover then it will look more professional. You have to consider that there is a small profile picture which is 160 x 160 which will be embedded in the left bottom corner of this cover photo. This makes the dimensions of a Facebook timeline cover very important as you do not want your profile picture overlapping something or looking out of place.
Here are some sizes to take note:
- Facebook Cover Photo: 851 x 315 (I’m glad they added that extra pixel on the width)
- Profile Picture Size: 160 x 160 (or up to 180 x 180 to upload)
- Custom Tab Image Size: 111 x 74
- Facebook Page Post Images: 960 x 960 (or up to 2048 x 2048 to upload)
- Link previews: 90 x 90
- Ad image size: 100 x 72
- Sponsored Story Images: 194 x 139
- Milestone or Highlighted Post: 843 x 403
- Full Image on a Custom Tab: 810 x 1200
You can use Windows Live Photo Gallery to resize a photo. It is free and easy.
How to Upload Your Cover Image to Your Facebook Timeline
Having a cover photo to your timeline is easy and you should do this as soon as possible. Even if you have not done a professionally designed cover photo, it is better to have something there rather than nothing at all.
To add a cover photo to your timeline:
- Go to your page timeline.
- Click Add a Cover if you have not added a previous cover or hover on the cover you have to see the Change cover button appear.
- Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums.
- The maximum size for your cover image is 720 pixels wide.
- Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down.
- Click Save.
You will be able to reposition the photo to get the best view showing on your Facebook page timeline cover picture.
See the screenshot below. You can see the change cover button in the right-hand bottom corner.
Use the Advertising Space Effectively
We all know that a picture can say 1000 words and you have the space on your Facebook page to say it. Some people keep their Facebook timeline cover image simple, while others go into extreme details.
- Your company or business logo. This can also be in your profile image which is on the left bottom corner.
- A motto or tagline.
- A professional layout and design.[easyazon-image align=”right” asin=”1118095626″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GSiUcvOxL._SL160_.jpg” width=”127″]
What Is Not Allowed On Your Facebook Timeline Cover Photo?
There are rules for your Facebook Timeline cover photo and I guess Facebook is trying to keep spam from their pages. They’ve actually provided a section for everything to promote your business so it is better to stick to the rules, otherwise your Facebook page can be deleted.
Facebook Timeline cover photos may not include:
- Pricing or purchase information. For example “25% off” or “Get cheap stuff at Tips4pc.com”
- Cover photos should not have your contact information. This is reserved the about section on your page.
- No references to “Like” or “Share” all big arrows pointing to such actions.
- No calls to action such as “click here to buy now” or “tell your friends” or “go to this website”.
If you have not uploaded a Facebook timeline cover, even if you do not have a business page, you can still have fun with this space. Many people have made up some fantastic looking Facebook timeline covers for personal Facebook profiles.
I personally build websites and businesses for a living and therefore will take full advantage of all of my Facebook timeline cover spaces.
See more Facebook tips and tricks.