Playing games online is a great way to relax at the end of the day, but it can be a never-ending source of frustration without the right equipment. The proper wireless router can make the difference between an enjoyable experience and one that makes you walk away in disgust. Whether you enjoy multiplayer games or just want to relax on your own, here are some tips to find equipment you’ll want to invest in.
Speed is Everything
Waiting for a page to load will kill your gaming experience. Make sure you don’t miss any of the action by getting the fastest speed available. It’s the only way to ensure that you get all the data and fast downloads when you turn on the games. Most game consoles feature a 100 Mbps connection to give you the speed your game will require.
When searching for a wireless router, look for a wireless-n router . Using MIMO technology and a wireless antenna, these systems are easily integrated with modern technology. You will enjoy better performance and longer coverage when you invest in high-speed systems.
Never Underestimate Support
Even if you live and breathe computer systems and rarely have to call tech support, you should still have a system that is well supported with Quality of Service (QoS) technology. Available for wireless and wired connections, this service will allow you to prioritize game applications and enhance your experience.
Ease of Setup
The system is useless to you if it requires a degree in rocket science to put it together. Look for a system that is user-friendly. Directions should be easy to understand, and sections of the router should be clearly marked. This will make the difference between getting to the games fast and spending a frustrating day trying to determine why you are not online.
DMZ is Important
Secured systems protect your files, network, and programs from Internet threats. You can never have too much security when it comes to your computer these days, and DMZ provides you with another layer of protection. It’s a secondary boundary on an exposed host, allowing you to enjoy your game without worrying about acquiring viruses that will destroy everything.
The Right Specs
If all of these still seems a little foreign to you, there are certain specs you can look for in any router. Even if you don’t completely understand what this information means, you can trust that you will have a better experience if you make sure these items are listed on the router information.
- Low latency – Less latency means a more stable router and more reliable connection.
- 802.11n – If you want a wireless network, the 802.11n router system is preferable because it runs at higher speeds.
- Simultaneous Connectors – More players make for a merrier game when it comes to multiplayer options. Make sure your system can handle it by looking for a router that allows multiple simultaneous connections.
- Dual-Band Router – If you live in an area with a lot of existing wireless networks, opt for the dual-band router. It chooses between a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency, allowing you to move into the higher range when the other one becomes crowded.
- Wireless – If you haven’t embraced the beauty of wireless networks, now is the time. The systems are more flexible and versatile, making them a great choice for any gamer.
- Also see our Wireless router buying guide.
There are many features to consider when buying a new wireless router for gaming. Making the right choice now will allow you to enjoy faster uploads, more action, and a more exciting game. Don’t live in the dark ages and fall behind in your favorite games. Make the right router choice now, so you can enjoy the best possible gaming experience later.
Eric Floyd is a freelance blogger, who writes about technology. As a tech-savvy gamer, Floyd understands the importance of choosing the right wireless router and recommends visiting this website for your wireless internet needs.