PDF (Portable Document Format) is a non editable document format by default. But this does not mean that you can never edit a PDF document and manipulate the content.
There are many online tools and software applications, both free and paid, available on the Internet that help you edit PDF files. Why do you have to purchase software like Adobe Acrobat when there are efficient PDF editing tools available for free? The only issue is that as there are many PDF editing online tools available in the market and choosing the right one can be a difficult task.
There are many popular and widely accepted free online PDF editing tools and some of them are PDFEscape, BeCyPDFMetaEdit, PDFExchange, InkSpace and so on. If you do not want to install PDF editing software on your computer, instead plan to do it online, then PDFEscape is a good option. You can edit your PDF file just within your browser. In other words, you just need a computer with Internet connection to use PDFEscape. You can upload required PDF file from your computer or directly from the Internet. You are able to do most of the basic editing activities such as inserting new content, image or link, deleting content, inserting controls like text box, check box, radio button, drop down or list box and manipulating pages with PDFEscape. If you plan to change the meta data information of any PDF file, then you can use BeCyPDFMetaEdit tool. If you plan to do advanced editing on your PDF file, then PDFExchange is a good choice.
How to Edit PDF Files using PDFEscape
1. Open your web browser (chrome, internet explorer or whatever use) and enter pdfescape.com. Click “EDIT YOUR PDF NOW” button. You will get a screen as given below.
2. Click “Upload PDF to PDFescape”. You will get a new screen where you can upload the PDF file you need to edit. After choosing the required file, click on “Upload” button. The right hand side of the screen contains your PDF file and the left hand side would contain different PDF editing options as given below.
3. Under the Insert tab, you could find tools such as Text, Whiteout, Image, Freehand, Link, Form Field and More. If you wish to delete a specific word or line, click the Whiteout tool and drag it on the word or line you wish to delete. Now, the specific word or line would have been cleared.
4. If you have to insert a new text, then drag and drop the Text tool in the required space and then enter the text using your keyboard. Once you click the Text tool and drop it on the page, you could see a menu bar on the top of the page as given below. It allows you to choose the font, size, color and style (bold, italic, underline) of your text.
5. If you wish to insert an image, drag and drop the Image tool in the required space. Then you will get the window to choose the image file to be uploaded. PDFEscape supports bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg and png image formats. If you wish to add a hyperlink to a specific detail, then drag and drop Link tool and specify the link address.
6. You can use Freehand tool if you wish to write or mark something on your PDF page. If you wish to make your PDF file interactive, you can use Form Field tool. For example, if you wish to know whether a male or female is reading your document, then you can create two radio buttons using Form Field tool and get the input.
7. If you click on the More button under the Insert tab, you will get tools like Line, Arrow, Rectangle, Circle and Checkmark.
8. Under the Annotate tab, you could find Sticky Note and Highlight tools. If you wish to insert a comment, then drag and drop Sticky Note tool. Inside the box, you can enter your comment. If you wish to highlight a specific text, then drag and drop the Highlight tool in the required area. You have the option to change the color of highlighted area as given below.
9. Under the Page tab, you could find tools such as Move, Delete, Rotate Left, Rotate Right, Append, Crop and Restore All which help to manipulate pages. If you wish to change page order of your PDF file, then you can use Move tool. Suppose you wish to move the 13th page to between 5th and 6th pages, then click on the Move tool when the cursor is on the 13th page and you will get a window. Choose 6 from the drop down (as you want to make 13th page as the 6th page now) and click Select. Now, the 13th page be between 5th and 6th pages.
10. If you wish to delete a particular page, click on the Delete tool when the cursor is on the particular page which is to be deleted. You can rotate the contents left or right using Rotate Left and Rotate Right tools respectively. You can append and crop the content using Append and Crop options. You can also restore the changes you made with Restore All tool.