When you install a program the default settings usually are to start the program when you login to your computer. For example if you install Nero at least three items start-up when you login. Nero secure disc, Nero check, and Nero Incd. But seriously we do not need all these programs starting up and can easily disable them by using the msconfig command which will bring up the system configuration settings.
Disabling these annoying startup programs should definitely be part of your computer maintenance checklist because each time you install a new program, different startup processes will be added. just imagine if absolutely everything started when you logged in. It would take forever for everything to load.
Will my computer run faster if I disable programs from starting?
If you disable programs from starting up when you boot up your computer you can make the entire start-up process quicker. The less items that have to be started, the faster your computer will boot up. If your computer does take a long time to start this could be the problem.
It is common for programs to also check for updates every time you log in. Software usually gets updated once or twice a year, however it is checking for updates every time you start your computer. I never recommend disabling automatic updates for windows, but other programs are OK. For example I have a photo editing program I do not use much so when I disable programs from starting, this is OK to disable.
How to use the msconfig command to disable programs from starting?
Msconfig is the command that brings up the system configuration utility. You will need to use this run box command, as shown in the screenshot below. To open a run dialog box simple press the WIN KEY and the letter R together. This will work on a Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Seven operating system.
When you have typed in msconfig into the run box the system configuration utility will appear.
How to disable programs from starting when you log into your computer?
- Once you have the system configuration window open, go to the startup tab.
- Here you will see a list of programs that will start when your computer starts. Simply un-tick the ones you don’t want.This will disable programs from starting.
- When you have finished choosing your programs, press apply and then OK.
Programs you should not disable in msconfig?
You should always be careful when disabling programs and should only do so if you are sure of what the consequences are. You should not disable your antivirus from starting as you will not be protected. Virus removal software, your firewall, and Windows updates would be the most important programs to keep updated. Also you should not disable programs related to certain devices that you may wish to use like a printer. If you know what the startup program is then it is OK to disable it.
Notes on using msconfig to disable programs at startup:
- Yes it will speed up your computer at boot up, however choosing to disable the wrong program can cause errors.
- Just remember that editing and changing settings on your computer is dangerous if you are unsure of what you are doing.
- You can reverse your changes by typing msconfig into the run box and entering the system configuration again. Simply put a tick in the box to enable a program to run at startup.
Do you disable programs from starting when you login?
See more computer maintenance tips