Here is a little trick to save time when printing your files. You simply drop the files you want to print onto the printer icon on the desktop. For example, if you wanted to print a word document you would go to the folder where the files is and drag it onto the printer icon. This means you did not have to open the program (which takes time) and press print.
Quick printing in Windows Vista
If you have Windows Vista you can have a shortcut to your printer for quick printing by adding a sidebar gadget. If you don’t have your sidebar enabled read how to enable Windows Vista sidebar gadgets. Once you have a sidebar, simply browse through the gadgets available and look for the drop printing feature. It is fantastic! All you have to do is drag and drop a file onto the printer icon.
That’s it! It will print your file. You can drop multiple files onto the icon to print them together.
Quick printing in Windows XP
This feature works in Windows XP, however you have to create your own printer icon on the desktop.
- Go to Start menu Choose Printers and Faxes.
- If its not there choose Control panel, then double click the Printers and Faxes icon.
- Right click on your printer, a menu will appear.
- Choose create shortcut. A shortcut to your printer will be placed on your desktop.
- When dragging a file to your printer icon, the original copy of the file stays stored where it originally was.
- You can also do this with a network printer.
- You can also right click on a file and choose print from the drop down menu.