Having a sharing folder in windows live messenger is an easy and quick way to send or share a file. If you are already using Windows Live Messenger to chat, why not share a few photo’s or your favorite music file with your contact.
What you need to share files with Windows Live Messenger
- You need to have the same version of Windows Messenger as the person you are sharing with.
- You both need to be online.
- Open Window live messenger.
- Go to the top menu and click on Actions.
- Go down to “Create or open a sharing folder…” and click on it.
- A box should pop up called “Windows live Contacts – Select a contact“
- Select the contact you wish to share folders with and click ok.
- If you wish to share folders with the contact you have chosen click yes if you do not wish to share folders with them click no.
- A window should pop up if you said yes and this is where you put the files you wish to share.
What files can you share?
- Pictures files.
- Microsoft Paint files.
- Mp3 Music files.
- Microsoft office documents.
- Compressed files.
You cannot send setup files or .exe files by simply placing them in the share folder. You must compress them first.
We tried sending the Windows Live Messenger setup file but it would not show to the person we wanted to share it with until it was compressed. They unpacked the file at the other end, placed it on their computer, and it was then fine to use and install.
- Click on the icon next to where you check your emails and it will open up all your share folders. See screen shots. Double click to enlarge.