Insufficient memory occurs when your computer system runs short of workable memory. Computer memory is temporary data storage unit that is used to store instructions, data and programs. As it stores massive amount of instructions, it is often referred to as high-speed microchip storage. There are primarily two types of memory, RAM and ROM.
Read-Only Memory (ROM): It is a form of data storage, which you cannot change, alter or reprogram easily. It is commonly known as a non-volatile memory and the contents are retained even after the power is switched off. The prime task of a non-volatile storage is to start up the process for computers and other similar devices. Best example of a Programmable ROM (PROM) chip in a computer is the BIOS. As it only allows reading, it can be concluded that ROM stores those useful programs that are mainly required to boot the computer system.
Random Access Memory (RAM): It is a type of data storage that can be accessed randomly at any instant of the time. RAM stores huge amounts of data and information. When a program is loaded, the program files are dumped into the computer’s memory. Shutting down the program will cause current runtime data to be flushed out of the main memory; hence shutting down the computer system will cause the computer to forget all the files that were being executed. RAM can be increased in order to increase the amount of data a computer can process and remember, making your computer faster and better.
There could be several reasons due to which an Insufficient Memory error will occur in your PC:
1. Too many unnecessary applications running in your computer
Solution: Remove some of the applications that are rarely used or were used for a specific task and are not required anymore. You also may want to uninstall all such applications that you don’t necessarily need anymore.
2. Too many viruses and spyware running in background and have infected your computer system
Solution: Scan your computer system with an effective Anti-Virus and take action accordingly against the infected data.
3. You have less capable hardware to cope with the resource-hungry latest generation software you are trying to run
Solution: Adding more memory (RAM) chips to your computer system can enhance your computer’s performance massively, depending on your current hardware configuration, OS type and software specification. Memory chips are very cost effective these days and you shouldn’t hesitate upgrading with more memory even though sometimes just memory upgrade may not give you anticipated result.
4. Insufficient Virtual Memory
Solution: Set the ‘Sizing’ to ‘Auto’ so that your Windows can manage your memory accordingly as your system’s resources.
Steps To Fix Problems Related To Insufficient Memory
# 1: Check Your Computer Memory
A lot of insufficient memory errors are caused by faulty memory. Before jumping to conclusion it is essential to run a memory test to ensure that your computer memory is functioning properly.
- Click Start.
- Type Memory Diagnostic Tool into the search bar.
- Click on the Memory Diagnostic Tool that has just shown up in search results.
- Click on “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)”to check your memory.
#2. Adjust Visual Performance
Until now, Microsoft Windows possess the most inspiring and interactive interface that constitutes fading icons, colorful animated windows, aero peeks, animated fading menus, diverse themes, graphical mouse pointers, translucency, and etc to name a few. All these features put a lot of load on your RAM, hence affecting its performance massively. So if you wish to avoid insufficient memory by reducing the load on your RAM, adjust the visual options as shown below:
- Click Start -> Click Control Panel
- Click System -> Click Advanced System Settings
- Under Performance Click Settings
- Under Visuals Effects, choose the third option which says ‘Adjust for best performance’. On choosing this options all the features will be unchecked, reducing significant load from your RAM.
- Minimum options can also be set by choosing the fourth option ‘Custom’, but this won’t be as helpful as the third option stated above.
#3: Increase Virtual Memory
One of the best ways to free up your memory is by accessing the hidden file stored as a system file often called a ‘paging file’. Virtual Memory is best known to eliminate insufficient memory error by allocating free space on your hard drive that will act like a physical RAM itself, enhancing your system’s performance tremendously. A computer system can dump information there also instead of clogging up RAM.
- Go to Control Panel -> System Properties.
- Go To Performance ->Advance Settings
- Click Settings -> Click Advanced
- Click Virtual Memory -> Choose Change.
- Select your Hard Disk.
- Click System Manage Size.
- Customize your Virtual Memory Settings to any size as per our requirements.
See more details about increasing virtual memory.
#4: Shutdown Unwanted Programs
Huge amount of RAM can be freed up by shutting down some of the unnecessary programs often running in the background that you do not need. While shutting these programs, you just need to make sure you do not close any essential program that you need. Follow the below given steps:
- Click Start -> Click Control Panel.
- Under Control Panel menu -> Click Programs.
- Under the Windows Defender heading -> Choose View currently running programs.
- Under Category option -> Choose Startup Programs
- Remove Unwanted or Unnecessary Programs
You can also get to the “Startup Programs” screen by running the “MSConfig” command. Just click on “start” at the bottom left corner of your screen, type “MSConfig” inside the dialog box that appears at the bottom and hit enter. You will get to the System Configuration screen after hitting “yes” on the account security window. Click on the “Startup” tab located on the horizontal top menu. Then uncheck all the unnecessary start up programs that you don’t need.