How often do you clean your computer case, inside and out? Did you realize that having a clean computer is a necessity for the system to run at its optimal levels? Having dust and dirt build up inside your computer case can restrict the airflow and cause serious damage to your components. One common example is when dust gathers on the heat sink and fan. If left there it can eventually cause the processor to overheat and shutdown the computer without warning.
The main factor to consider when you clean inside your computer case is safety. You will first need to be familiar with how to open computer cases and the precautions you have to take. There are important steps to complete before starting to clean your system like removing all plugs from the computer and certain preparation to make sure you do not damage the components inside your computer case.
Safety Tips To Clean Inside Your Computer
Safety always comes first so here are a few tips:
- Follow these steps below carefully. If you miss a step you can ruin your computer components inside your computer.
- A computer is an electrical item so this job is usually reserved for a professional. Proceed at your own risk.
- If you are cleaning out dust from inside your computer you should use a mask. It is definitely not good to breathe in this dust.
Steps to Clean Inside Your Computer
- Shut down your computer correctly.
- Remove all power cords and as an extra precaution, turn of the extra power switch which is at the back of most computers.
- Remove all devices and cords connected to the computer. This way you can take the main box outside so you don’t make a mess inside the house.
- Open your computer case. You might have thumb screws that you can undo with your fingers, or maybe Phillips head screws.
Acceptable Tools to use to clean inside your computer case.
Of course it is preferred that you have the professional tools to clean inside your computer case, however you do not always need all the fancy cleaning tools available. Everyday household items will do. Here is a list of some of the tools I use to clean inside my computer.
Clean Inside your Computer Case
- Soft paint brush: I use this when an air compressor is not available. Gently brush the dust from inside the case. Make sure you do not accidentally move any wires or connections.
- Air compressor: I would choose to use this before anything. Its quick and easy and removes dust properly. Do not go too close to the motherboard though. It will work fine from a distance. It is also best to remove the cpu fan and clean that separately.
- Compressed air can: When you clean inside your computer case, this disposable compressed air can that will blow the dust out. Be sure to keep the can upright, otherwise it will leak liquid. Always read the instructions on the can. (Pictured left.)
- Vacuum: Some people use this to suck the dust from inside their computer case, however a normal household one will not do. It is best to use a battery operated, handheld vacuum specifically designed for this purpose. Household vacuums cause static electricity which can damage your computer components.
- Dust Mask: This is great for those really dusty old computers. I don’t think it would be very healthy to breathe it all in.
Cleaning the Exterior and Components
- Water: Use water sparingly. It should only be used to slightly dampen your cloth. You do not want water dripping all over your computer.
- Rubbing alcohol: I always choose to use this before water as it evaporates fast. It is also great for cleaning dirt and oily marks from the inside the computer case, mouse and keyboard.
- Cloth: (lint free) You should use a cloth to clean the exterior of the case, the mouse, cords, and keyboard. Only slightly damp. Fold your cloth over a few times to get in between the keys on the keyboard.
- Vacuum: You can use a vacuum cleaner to extract dust and food crumbs from your keyboard. Do not use it to clean inside your computer case as it may damage your components.
- Cotton Wool or Swabs: Also good for reaching those hard to reach places.
- Car dash oil: This is great for blending in scratches on monitors and sometimes cases, like a Dell GX270 desktop. Don’t use too much, as you do not want it dripping into the monitor air vents.
- Eucalyptus oil: I use this to remove permanent pen from monitors or cases. Just put some on a cloth and rub on the writing and it will start to dissolve.
- Cleaning your inside your computer case regularly, can prolong its working life. We could all do with less computer troubles and this is an easy task for most people. Removing things like dust, smoke residue, dirt, or pet hair can leave your system to breathe freely.
- So why not clean inside your computer case now. You will be shocked at the amount of dust and dirt that is in there.
- Don’t forget to read how to open computer cases. And Dust Build up Inside Your Computer Power Supply
Watch this video on how to clean inside your computer case:
This video will show you how to clean inside your computer case safely. It will also show you what tools to use and then go on to clean a mouse, the old type with the ball, and also an optical mouse.
Do you need IT certification training? Visit this website for more information @ http://www.techskills.edu.
Have you got any tips to share with us on how you clean inside your computer case?