Before you start experimenting and changing the Windows registry settings, here is a way to backup before you do this. That way if you make a mistake you can always go back and restore your original settings. I will show you how to Export and Import Registry Files before editing it.
To back up the whole registry in one shot is an easy task.
Here’s how to Export a copy of your registry:
- Go to the Start Menu and choose Run from the menu
- Type regedit in the box and press OK
- The registry editor will appear. In the left column make my computer blue by clicking on it once.
- Then choose file from the menu at the top.
- Choose to Export
All you have to do is choose where to save it and give it a name.
To restore your file to your registry:
- You can copy the file to your computer and then just double click on the file to restore.
- Or you can open the registry again and instead of choosing Export, choose Import
- This article presumes you are installing the registry back to the original computer that it came from, with that ID number.
- If you want to use your registry settings for another computer sometimes you need to edit the file before restoring it.