I recently changed my WordPress theme from a Thesis WordPress theme to a Genesis WordPress theme. And before that I would have had 3 more themes on this site alone. Some had their own built in SEO options and others needed a plugin.
Therefore when I changed my WordPress theme I lost my SEO details that I had previously in Thesis. Now using Genesis, where there are no real SEO details included, I needed to install WordPress SEO from Yoast.
Now the job was to import Thesis SEO details and the All in One SEO Pack details into WordPress SEO. This Yoast plugin had a built in option to import from some plugins but not all, so I needed a plugin to help me.
Download a Plugin to Import Thesis SEO Details
Now do not just jump in and start importing your SEO data as there is a wrong and right order to do this in. For example, the latest SEO descriptions and keywords I would have had on the blog were Thesis. Therefore I would want to import them first. If I had imported the all in one SEO pack first then my blog would be filled with outdated meta descriptions.
This is because this plugin only imports SEO details if there is none already entered on a particular post. So obviously I want to import the best description first.
Install the SEO Data Transporter To Import Thesis SEO
1. Sign into your WordPress dashboard. Go to the plugins menu and choose Add New.
2. Search for SEO Data Transporter and install and activate.
3. Go to the tools section menu and choose the plugin from the drop down.
4. Choose your place you want to import from next to the “convert inpost SEO data from“. I chose Thesis 1.x.
5. Now choose what you want to convert to. I chose WordPress SEO. See the screenshot below.
6. You can press Analyze and see the details available. When you want to convert then press convert.
- Thesis (1.x & 2.x)
- Add Meta Tags
- All in One SEO
- Greg’s High Performance SEO
- Infinite SEO
- Meta SEO Pack
- Platinum SEO
- SEO Ultimate
- WordPress SEO
Another handy plugin I installed is SEO extended that has a bulk description editor which adds on to Yoast WordPress SEO. That way you can see all the posts with missing descriptions and edit them without actually entering each post.