Creating your own customized Google search box has been around for a long time, however a few things have changed in the process to set this up on your website. It is a really great feature that Google offers in the Google AdSense program where you can make a customized Google search box and steer your customers into searching only websites that you choose.
What are the benefits of creating a customized Google search box?
- You have the opportunity to make money when people click on an add.
- You can reduce the bounce rate of your website because people will search and find something to look at within your website.
- It makes it easy for people to find what they want when visiting your website.
Therefore if a website visitor is on this website looking for more computer tips, if they search in the customized Google search box at the top of this website, they will not be searching Google worldwide, but they will be searching this website only. The website visitors are searching within your website, which is good, and if they click on an eight then you get compensated for that.
How can I create my own customized Google search box?
To create your own customized Google search box you will need to sign up for a Google AdSense account. Usually you would need a website to do this, however it is not always the case. Sometimes you can sign up for a Google AdSense account by contributing content or articles to other revenue sharing websites. You could also apply for a Google AdSense account if you have a email@example.com. If you are new to the Google Adsense program see Can you make money with Google Adsense?
1. After activating your Google AdSense account there will be options to create adds and customized Google search boxes on the create and add tab.
2. Log into your AdSense account. Press on the AdSense setup tab at the top.
3. This will bring you to a page showing which type of add you can make. See the screen shot below.
4. Click on the link that says AdSense for search.
5. In the new Google AdSense interface you will need to press on the my ads tab, then press on the search link, and then choose custom search engines. See the screen shot below.
6. Some settings will appear. The first setting you need to choose is to do with what website you want to search. If you want to search the World Wide Web then choose this option. However if you want to choose only a certain website, type the domain name into the box below and choose only sites I select.
7. This is the main setting on this page and you can ignore all other settings. Obviously you can make a new channel or changed other settings but it is okay to just go on without doing so.
8. Press next at the bottom of the page.
9. On the next page you will have the choice of which search box design you would like. You can also set the length of your search box by setting how many characters in length it is. In the screen shot below I have chosen a watermark search bar and a length of 25 characters.
10. Go to the bottom of the page and press continue.
11. On the next page there are a few choices. If you have made your own landing page for the search results then choose open results within my own site and paste the URL below . If you have not made your own search results page then choose one of the other choices.
12. If you are using your own search results landing page you can also choose the width of the results area. In the screen shot below I have made my results area 600 pixels wide.
13. You can also choose where to place Google advertising. You can choose top and bottom if you do not have enough room to have ads on the sides.
14. Further down the page you can choose the color for your ads and search results. See the screen shot below.
15. Press continue to get to the next page.
16. Now you will see a space where you can name your customized Google search box and then press on submit and get code. See the screen shot below.
17. Two boxes will appear with two sets of HTML code.
18. The first lot of code is the search box code and you place this where you want to have a search box. For example if you are using WordPress and you want to put a search box in your header, you would place this code in your header.P HP.
19. The next code goes on the search results page that you made. If you have chosen to not use a customized Google search results page then you will not get the second block of code.
Watch this video below to see how to make your own customized Google search box and placed it on a WordPress website.
If you did not follow my tutorial on how to create your own customized Google search box, simply watch this video to see me go through it step-by-step.
Here is another video on How to put Google Adsense into your website HTML.
Please feel free to comment and give us your ideas on making your own customized Google search box.