Some highly regarded experts in the computer field have likened the web browser Internet Explorer to a piece of Swiss cheese. The virtually weekly security patches have no effect on the shaky stability and overall risk of IE.
These same experts have recommended making Firefox the default browser for surfing the Internet.
Just clicking on it every time is not akin to making Firefox the default browser. When a program like AOL instant messenger looks to establish a connection, they will automatically launch Internet Explorer. Making Firefox the default browser will cure this.
How to make Firefox Your Default Web Browser?
1. Open the Firefox program.
2. Go to the menu at the top of the page and choose Tools. See the first screenshot below.
3. Then choose Options from the drop down menu.
4. Under options proceed to the Advanced icon along the top row. As shown below in the screenshot.
5. Then make sure you are on the general tab.
6. Under the system defaults panel you will notice a checkbox that asks to look if Firefox is the default browser. Click the box and the process of making Firefox the default browser is complete.
7. You can also push on the check now button to make your choice immediately.
8. Now a smaller windows will appear asking you to choose yes or no to making firefox your default browser.
9. Choose Yes to make Firefox the default browser.
If you are new to Firefox, take a few of the online tutorials to better acquaint yourself with the nuances of the program. In the long run, you will enjoy the safety and stability that is offered by making Firefox the default browser.