If you have another antivirus/ firewall program running, it is very important that you turn the Windows firewall and virus protection off. Otherwise it will interfere with the proper protection of your computer.
Where is the Windows security settings, you say?
Go to Start menu>control panel>Security Center (More about the Control Panel)
To Turn the Windows firewall off follow these steps.
- Go to control panel, then choose Security center
- Then in the left resource box, choose Change the way Security center alerts me
- Un-tick any of the three boxes. If you only want to disable antivirus, choose that box only. If you want to turn off the firewall, choose that instead. Most security suite programs have both antivirus and a firewall built in. Make sure you know what your program does before disabling anything.
- To turn the firewall on, tick the box that says firewall.
You can also turn off just your firewall by going to control panel and choosing Windows Firewall. See the picture below. It says turning the firewall off is not recommended, however if you have other security it is not needed.
- If the security centre does not show up in control panel, this means you have not downloaded your windows updates yet.