Hard drive failure is a definite reality that every computer user will face every day. This is a fact. It happens either due to physical or logical hard drive errors and can result in major data loss which in turn can cost money when you try to recover the lost data (When data on the hard drive become inaccessible or corrupted is referred as data loss). Therefore, it is the life’s little surprises, you must be prepared for.
Whenever, your system fails suddenly and your computer keeps restarting or you hear a clicking noise from your hard drive, you must be aware that your hard drive can become corrupt or crash at anytime. In this article, you will find causes of hard drive failure and the necessary steps to overcome this problem.
Reasons for hard drive data corruption
- Physical Failure: Physical failure is the major cause of hard drive failure results in damaged inner equipment’s such as platter, head crash, spindle motor etc. But there is a good possibility that your data is still intact and accessible by some special recovery software. Most common reasons behind physical hard drive failure are due to bumping, jarring or dropping the computer while it is running.
- Mechanical Failure: When the hard drive equipment’s itself become crashed or faulty, such as a head crash, spindle motor or bearing, excessive heat etc., your hard drive will become no longer accessible. You should immediately stop using the disk and send it to a reputable firm providing data recovery services to preserve the chances of data recovery. Most common symptoms of mechanical hard drive failure which you might recognize yourself are: an internal clicking noise or maybe a windows error message while booting. for example the message might say ‘no hard drive found’, ‘operating system not found’ or something similar.
- Electronic Failure: Power surges, burned controller board and similar instances cause your hard drive to be undetectable to BIOS. In these types of cases, the hard drive will become completely dead or won’t spin at all after starting the PC. In modern technology, many hard drives are invented with self reporting & analysis technology in which your hard drive will continuously monitor its own health status and will report you accordingly. This is known as S.M.A.R.T.(Self-Monitoring, analysis and reporting technology)
- Logical Failure: In most of the cases, your hard drive may fail due to logical errors, which can be very difficult to deal with. Errors such as file system corruption, invalid entries in registries, virus/malware attack etc. These are the most common factors responsible for making hard drive logically damaged and you almost need to be a techy person to handle this kind of situation, because any wrong attempts will make hard disk data permanently non recoverable. If you do enough damage this can mean that recovering your files will not be possible any longer.
Possible Steps to Overcome Data Loss Situations:
- Scheduling a regular backup will helps in majority to keep your data available in any unavoidable situations. So, if you have any backup copy already created then it will surely become a life savior for your data.
- Using registry editor software to fix invalid entries automatically.
- Check power cables, unplug the drive and reconnect it to pc board etc. and see if it helps in starting your hard drive to work again.
- Various kind of data recovery software are available online which can be used to recover data in any kind of hard drive failure. These software uses powerful algorithm to deeply scan every bytes of data which can be recovered.