Learning how to defrag your computer is a very important lesson when using a computer. When you install programs onto your computer the files are scattered all over the place in the closest available space. Therefore it is important that we organize the files that were installed into a logical order. When you defrag your computer the files are placed together if they belong together. This makes programs open up faster as everything they need is close by. Defragging your computer also places the most frequently used programs in an easy to access parts of your storage so they will also open faster.
If you have Microsoft windows as your operating system on your computer, it includes a system tool called Disk Defragmenter. This utility examines your files and places them in areas that will enable easy access. This should be part of your regular computer maintenance ritual and I have included it in my computer maintenance checklist.
How to defrag your computer using the Windows Disk Defragmenter?
- Go to the Start Menu in the bottom left and choose all programs
- Then Choose Accessories, then System Tools, then Disk Defragmenter
- Now you can choose to Analyze your hard drive disk to see if it needs defragging.
- If it does need it then press the Defrag button.
When finished, Windows will give you a report.
Below is a Screenshot of my computers Disk Defragmenter. My computer’s hard drive did not need to be defragged as I have already done it this week.
How to de-frag your computer using Windows Vista or Windows 7?
As with Windows XP, both Windows Vista and Windows 7 have the Disk Defragmenter included. You simply need to go to the start menu and press on the link that says all programs.
- Then you need to find the accessories folder as shown below in the screenshot.
- In the accessories folder there will be another folder called system tools.
See the screen shot below showing the system tools folder and though disk defragmenter contained in there.
How to defrag your computer using a third-party program?
Microsoft Windows provides a free tool to de-frag your computer, however I prefer to use a free program called JK de-frag. I have tested its performance against the free Windows disk defragmenter and I believe that it performs 100% better. This program is no longer supported however I am still using it and it still works great!
I have made a computer maintenance video showing how I use JK de-frag and how to manually maintain your computer.
If you can afford to buy maintenance software I should definitely check out PowerSuite Golden. I have not seen software like this. It actually does absolutely everything!
All over computer maintenance
I have a plan to maintain and protect 3 computers for one year for under $100. This includes all computer maintenance, and complete internet security. Who has time to keep up with computer maintenance when you are busy working and trying to find time to spend with your family and friends. Getting the right programs to do the job can save you hundreds of dollars in computer repair bills.
Of course if you have time you can definitely perform all this maintenance yourself and all with free programs.
Why should you defrag your computer?
- The longer you do not defrag your computer the worse it gets, which slows your computer down.
- When you do defrag your hard drive disk the worse it is, the longer it takes to defrag. Therefore it is better to defrag your computer more often.
- Also if you have a large hard drive with a lot of information it takes longer to defrag your computer.
You should defrag your computer hard drive at least once a week to keep your system running smoothly and may also help prevent errors.