When you have paid a lot of money for software and find later on down the track that you have lost the product key, don’t panic yet. The product key will be stored on your computer and can be retrieved manually, which is a nightmare, or with the help of a free program. I am presuming that in the past you purchased a genuine copy of either Windows or Office but have lost the product key. Hopefully you still have the programs CD. If you do not have the original CD this will not help you.
Isn’t it illegal to find a product key for a program?
It is illegal to find a product key on the internet and use this, however if you have previously installed a genuine paid for copy of either Microsoft Windows of Office 2003 or 2007, then it is ok. It is understandable and most likely that people now days loose their product keys. At the time of buying a new computer or installing a new program, they do not realize how important that product key is. As long as you still have the original CD, then you can find the product key stored on your computer.
Why would I want to find the product key of Windows or Office?
You might want to find your product key for your Windows Operating system or your Microsoft Office program for any number of reasons:
- You might upgrade your computer components and will therefore need to format your computer. This will wipe all information from your hard drive and you will need product keys to install programs again.
- You might want to remove the program from your old computer and put it on a new one.
- You might realize you have lost the product key and want to retrieve it just in case something happens.
How to find the Windows or Office product key?
The first step is to go to our Freeware section and download Belarc Advisor. This is a program that you need to see your product key. Simply save the program to your computer, double click on it to install, then it will immediately open with the details of your computer.
Belarc Advisor also what operating system your computer has installed, processor details, make, model, serial, lists memory modules and which slots they are installed in, and the list goes on…
Notes on finding a product key on your computer:
- You will be amazed at what this program can do.
- Belarc Advisor is absolutely free for personal use only.
- If you have lost your original CD and have no backup copy, you cannot re-install the software without it. However if you loose your product key then can find it again if the program is installed on your computer.
- You can find a product key for both Windows and Office in the registry, however why bother when Belarc makes it easy for you.